Umalusi’s role in education and training in South Africa
Umalusi Council sets and monitors standards for general and further education and training in South Africa in accordance with the National Qualifications Framework Act No 67 of 2008 and the General and Further Education and Training Quality Assurance Act No 58 of 2001.
The Council is tasked with the development and management of a sub-framework of qualifications for general and further education and training and for the attendant quality assurance.
Umalusi is currently responsible for the certification of the following qualifications:
- Senior Certificate (SC) – continues as a revised qualification for adults
- National Senior Certificate (NSC) – replaced the SC in 2008
In Further Education and Training Colleges
- National Technical Certificate (N3)
- National Senior Certificate (Vocational) – phasing out
- National Certificate Vocational (NCV) – Commenced 2007
In Adult Learning Centres
- General Education Training Certificate: Adults (GETC)
In order to issue learners with certificates that are credible, Umalusi:
- Develops and evaluates qualifications and curricula to ensure that they are of the expected standard
- Moderates assessment to ensure that it is fair, valid and reliable
- Accredits providers of education and training, and assessment
- Conducts research to ensure educational quality
- Verifies the authenticity of certificates
Is this your institution?
Claiming your listing is the best way to manage and protect your institutional info.